[RTTY] Another lesson from Don

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Another lesson from Don
From: "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@dxatlas.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 22:24:12 -0400
I was running in the BARTG contest today, and most stations that were calling
me had their exchange programmed like this:

599 123 123 123 2359

- that is, the serial number was sent two or three times, followed by the time, sent once or twice. My own exchange was no exception. The time was at the very end of the message, and when the caller finished his transmission and I was supposed to send TU-QRZ, I was still busy copying the time to the logger. Then Don AA5AU called me, and his exchange was different:

599 123 2359 123 2359

I received both pieces of information early in the message and had plenty of time to copy them. When he finished sending, I was ready for the next QSO. This saved both stations a little bit of time, perhaps a second or so, but seconds in the contests add up very quickly. I learned my lesson and changed my exchange to this new format. Thank you, Don!

73 Alex VE3NEA