Re: [RTTY] Another lesson from Don

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Another lesson from Don
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 08:35:43 -0700
There is a lot to be said for Don's approach.

On the other hand, those who feel more comfortable seeing the number twice
may hesitate and not click on the number right away which could slow things
down.

Here is something I wrote a few years ago which might increase everyone's
comfort level.

> Which brings us to the question of when to ask for a repeat. When do you
> have enough to log a contact? It depends. You don’t have to copy a number
> twice to be confident that you have it right.
>
> If I print 599 005 W6SX, the 599 and W6SX bracketing the 005 tell me it’s
> probably good. I’ll log it unless something else tells me to question it.
>
> One “something” is that you can often tell by ear if an exchange printed
> correctly. Or, perhaps more importantly, you can often tell by ear if an
> exchange is corrupted.
>
> If I print 599 005 0%&*, I’ll probably log 005.
>
> If I print 599 005^*A, I’ll ask for a repeat.
>
> There are lots of scenarios you can build. Contest radiosport is risk
> evaluation. Do I interrupt a 100-per-hour run to be 100% sure of an
> exchange? Or do I evaluate as above and take a chance I’ll lose a low-point
> QSO to log checking? Does my calculus change if it’s a new multiplier I’m
> not likely to find later? Of course.

Your print may vary.

Contest Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX