Re: [RTTY] bandpass filters

To: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] bandpass filters
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 19:00:12 -0400
Along with what Jerry, W4UK, wrote a couple sets of homemade W3NQN filters
and homemade stubs used for SO2R, 1500 W, RTTY contesting with a single
tower for supporting all the antennas.  Yes, you can only get within ~10
KHz of the second harmonic frequency but that still leaves a lot of the
band available.

W3NQN filters (homemade) are used.  The initial set of the filters were
tuned using just a MFJ259 antenna analyzer.  This was over 10 years ago.
Since then I've built a VNA.  Sure, the MFJ259 tuned filters were not as
sharply tuned as could be accomplished with the VNA, but they still
functioned well in the high power RTTY SO2R environment.

The cost per filter can be quite inexpensive if you make them yourself and
limit the throughput power to 100 W max.  Turns out the most expensive
component(s) for each filter are the SO239 connectors.   You can even
eliminate a couple of the toroids per filter for the 10 - 20 m filters by
using air coils for the input and output parallel circuits.   The
enclosures are made from aluminum flashing.

So don't overlook fabricating your filters as the experience and cost
savings are very worthwhile.

  73,
  Mike, K4GMH