Re: [RTTY] Guess I have been away longer than I thought. +the Signalink

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Guess I have been away longer than I thought. +the Signalink USB
From: "David G3YYD" <g3yyd@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 19:12:53 -0000
Thom

Bad idea to use a USB serial port to generate FSK the reason being that
Windows is not a real time operating system so there is substantial amount
of timing jitter such as it can and does cause errors at the decoding end of
the link.

Using radio based FSK is a bad idea with many radios as they generate a very
wide signal causing a lot of QRM on the adjacent channels. The K3 with
current firmware is an exception to this but they may now be others. See
http://www.frontiernet.net/~aflowers/k3rtty/k3rtty.html

If you have to use FSK then as Chen W7AY says the TinyFSK is the way to go
as that has virtually no timing jitter. If you want to be friendly to your
adjacent frequency RTTY enthusiast the narrowest on air signal then Fldigi
AFSK or 2Tone DOOK is the way to go.

73 David G3YYD