Re: [RTTY] BARTG sprint

To: Keith Maton <g6nhu@me.com>,RTTY Contest Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG sprint
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 13:10:13 -0500
At 12:28 PM 1/28/2018, Keith Maton wrote:
Does anyone else find it surprising how many people clearly donâ??t bother to read the rules of the contest theyâ??re entering? I lost count of the number of stations who sent a signal report and they werenâ??t just casual people giving away a few points, some had many hundreds of QSOs. Conditions were poor yesterday but worse today - I struggled with very weak signals on 20m this morning. 73 Keith G6NHU _______________________________________________ RTTY mailing list RTTY@contesting.com http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/rtty

Actually, I have always thought the BARTG contest committee didn't read the well-understood requirements that a QSL card needs a RST report to be accepted by all awards committees as a valid QSL. So most of the QSLs resulting could be challenged if some nut wanted to.

I would agree that RST should not be a required part of a QSL, but it appears that it presently is. Maybe BARTG and other contest sponsors should lobby to change that "requirement".

I didn't send an RST, but only a few of my 245 Qs sent RST (I distinctly remember one guy who sent me a 598 - whazzup with that? Screws up the flow to have a non-standard exchange.)

Google "what are the requirements for a QSL card as a radio confirmation of contact?", and the following info pops up. This is from http://www.m0oxo.com/direct-a-bureau-instructions/new-to-qsl-ing-how-to-guide.html , and is typical of several I read.

"Contents of a QSL Card

There is some information that needs to be on all QSL cards to be valid for the various awards, and also to confirm the contact. This includes both call signs (yours and the station worked), the frequency or band, the mode, date and time, and a signal report. This is highlighted in point 3 below;

1) Callsign; Your Callsign needs to be on both sides of the card. It needs to be big enough to be easily seen by the person who you are sending it to. You may also consider (on the rear), adding several other of your Callsigns in which case you would to have the 'tick-box' option on there (see image below).

2) Your name with Postal and Email addresses (if applicable).

3) QSO information area. This should be large enough for you to write all the data needed to confirm the QSO. Date, Time (UTC), Band, Mode, RST etc etc are all required. ..."