Re: [RTTY] BARTG sprint

To: "'Jerry Flanders'" <jeflanders@comcast.net>, "'Keith Maton'" <g6nhu@me.com>, "'RTTY Contest Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG sprint
From: "John Barber" <john@bordertech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:11:19 -0000
Jerry,
Back in 1997 the BARTG contest 'committee' was only me! So I am entirely to
blame for the BARTG Sprint contest and the rules.
Bob W9BU echoes my thinking at the time; the RST exchange is 'repetitive,
redundant, and sometimes bogus'. It wastes time and is meaningless.
Not only in contests either. When did you get anything other than 599 from a
DXpedition?
At the time all the other RTTY contests had the RST as part of the exchange, so
any departure from this had to be carefully considered. The 'well understood
requirements' for RST are actually just another myth.
The ARRL were asked for their thoughts regarding DXCC and the response was
quite clear. QSL cards were accepted as proof of contact between stations at a
stated date, time and frequency. The signal report was not a requirement.
So that's how it started. Personally I would dump the 599 from all contests and
substitute something meaningful if not already in the exchange. Then try to get
a useful report in non-contest QSOs, including power, antennas and real RST.
That's not going to happen though!
Cheers,
John GW4SKA/GW0A