[SECC] [SEDXC] Rig Recommendations for ~$500.00

Subject: [SECC] [SEDXC] Rig Recommendations for ~$500.00
From: k9ay at k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:32:34 -0500
From: "JT Croteau" <jt.w6fo at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SECC] [SEDXC] Rig Recommendations for ~$500.00

> Thanks for all the comments on this subject.
______________

How about some more...?

I have two IC-765s and will soon be looking for another one, plus a parts
radio. At the time they were built, nothing was better in basic receiver
performance. You can find them $800-900 -- and 500 Hz CW filters were
standard, so there's nothing extra to buy if you find a "stock" unit.

TenTec Omni V can be good if updated.  I know a couple DXers who absolutely
adore their old Corsairs.  Avoid the Paragon.

Some of the "lesser rigs" have performed well for their owners. One guy uses
an IC751A and IC706 for SO2R and does well. Low power SS has been WON with a
TS440. Operated a M/S a while back where the 2nd radio TS930 failed and was
replaced by a "lowly" TS450 -- to our surprise, the '450 was a noticably
better radio, although the controls and buttons are too small.

Check the QST product reviews, too -- and try to read between the lines,
since some reviews were too light in their criticism.

73, Gary
K9AY