[SECC] Proposed New Center for Circle

Subject: [SECC] Proposed New Center for Circle
From: Matt at HiWAAY.net (Matt Lee, K4AQ)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:31:56 -0400
Hi Gordon,

Here are some "behind the scenes" stuff that I use to determine a pushpin's
position relative to the circle.

Please note that when looking at the FULL circle, it is 350 miles in
diameter.

For stations close to the edge of the circle I zoom in and then measure the
distance. For example, let's take a look at how we measured K4SB's QTH
distance from the circle.

1. This is what K4SB's pushpin appears as when using the full circle
resolution:

2. This is what K4SB's pushpin appears as when zoomed in. Note: I could have
zoomed in even further (see slider between the "minus (zoom out)" and  "plus
(zoom in)" in the tool bar.

If I had to be "picky" about the measurement between the circle and pushpin
(because I may not have had a "perfect" measurement line that was
perpendicular to the circle), I would use a radius circle to do the
measurement.

Below is an example showing a radius circle to measure K4BK's QTH relative
to the circle. The center of the blue circle is not referenced to K4BK's QTH
pushpin; it is located between his QTH pushpin (which was plotted using his
address) and the pushpin that was based on QRZ.com's coordinates for K4BK's
position. (The center of his radius circle was position after I had zoomed
in to provide me with the necessary resolution to place the center of the
radius circle between the two pushpins.)

(BTW, the coordinates that K4BK provided in his email to the SECC reflector
ended up in the Atlantic Ocean...it was still outside the circle, hi.)

--
Matt Lee, K4AQ
Atlanta, Georgia