[TRLog] Minimum PC requirements for TRLOG

Subject: [TRLog] Minimum PC requirements for TRLOG
From: N7DR@arrl.net (D. R. Evans)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:04:19 -0700

On 26 Nov 2001 at 8:15, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 07:50:45AM -0600, Rich Beckwith wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone tell me the minimum PC configuration for TRLOG?  I tried to run
> > with a PIII 266 and 64MB of RAM during the SS, but TRLOG kept stalling in
> > S&P mode.
>
> Intel 80286 or better CPU
> 640K RAM
> 2MB of free disk space for program files
> MS-DOS 3.1 or newer operating system
>
> http://www.qth.com/tr/requirements.html

That is theory. The practice is that you'll need quite a bit more than a
286, although your machine should be fine.

You can ask Tree for a specially compiled version for slow machines. I
expect that he doesn't like doing this any more (I run such a version on my
20MHz 386), and it really still doesn't behave particularly well. With the
stock build there are indeed delays at inopportune times (in S&P and CQ
mode). These started happening when Tree changed the overlay structure a
while back. I have often felt that the change was mistake -- I guess that
it freed more memory, but it made the program unusable on old machines, and
I have never been in a situation where memory was a problem, so I have a
one-sided view of the affair.

I spent this past weekend using the stock TR build on a 33MHz 486 and a
50MHz 486 at a fun multi-multi. Both machines displayed an annoying
hesitancy at certain points in a QSO, but nothing like as bad as my poor
old 20MHz 386.

The guess about slow disks may have something to it. My 386 certainly has
an especially slow drive, so swapping bits of the program in and out leads
to especially poor performance.

  Doc  N7DR

PS I think that in the next edition of the manual I shall add a caveat to
the requirements, giving another set of specs that are the practical lower
bound for CW contests on the stock build. Anyone any idea what those
requirements ought to be?

PPS I realise that most people are running much faster machines and don't
see any of these problems. For those of us using old hand-me-downs in the
shackk, though, these are real issues, so it would be good for the manual
to provide some practical guidance.

D.R. Evans N7DR / G4AMJ                      N7DR@arrl.net

A dead lawyer in a Colorado ski resort and an Australian detective
who doesn't play by the rules:
   "All Or Nothing" is now available.
See http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR/drevans.htp for details.