[TRLog] The end of MS-DOS as we know it

Subject: [TRLog] The end of MS-DOS as we know it
From: w0yk@msn.com (J. Edward (Ed) Muns)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:01:23 -0800
You only need one laptop (or, desktop).  I've been running dual boot OS's
(MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 2000 or XP) ever since the Windows 2000 Beta, 3
years or so ago.  I run PED or RUFZ or TR-Log simulator on the airplane AND
do email or other business work.  I use Windows to manage my files in the
DOS partition and only go to DOS to run the DOS programs.  It's not that
much hassle and I have the best of both worlds.  If I only want to look at
my log and do edits on the way home from an expedition, I often just use a
DOS window in Windows because keying, radio control, TNC, packet, etc. are
not needed.

I prefer to start with a clean HDD to set up my dual boot.  I first use
FDISK to make a 2GB partition with FAT16 formatting and install MS-DOS 6.22.
Then, I install Windows 2000 or XP, making the rest of the HDD a second
partition formatted with NTFS.  Windows sets up a boot menu that allows you
to choose which OS gets booted at boot time.  One of them is a default so if
you don't make a choice within a (user-) specified time, the default is
loaded.

If you already have Windows installed and don't want to clean your HDD, then
you can use software like Partition Magic to create a FAT16 partition in
some free space on your disk.  Install MS-DOS and you have the same setup.
Partition Magic, of course, adds its own software, e.g., a menu for choosing
the OS at boot time.  I like to minimize the number of software programs on
my computers to just those I really need, especially minimizing software
like Partition Magic which go deeper into the system than normal
applications.  But, I've never known anyone to have problems with Partition
Magic, so it should work just fine.

73,
Ed - W0YK