Re: [Trlog] 1B67LAX Bug

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] 1B67LAX Bug
From: Jimmy Weierich <kg2au@stny.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:29:28 -0500
Well, I, for one, am not perfect. I know that entering spaces will prevent the problem. Even so, last year in SSB SS I was dinged for an incorrect callsign and penalized another QSO for the error.

Here's the line from my ARRL log checking report:

U88SF is a busted call. The correct call is KC6AWX.

Here's the line from my log:

10SSB 16-Nov-02 21:26 22 U88SF 12 U 88 Sf Sf 2

BTW, I don't remember what was in the exchange field at the time, but I don't see any single digit serial numbers here.

I knew this had happened at the time, but had no idea what the call should be. I could have deleted the QSO, but that would have penalized the other operator for my error.

Regardless of the ways to prevent this from occurring, operators do make mistakes in the heat of battle. At least some of us do.

I repeat what I said before - software should not allow one to lose data due to a dumb mistake.

Saving what is in the callsign field before replacing it and allowing it to be recovered with a CTRL-key combination seems like a simple enough solution.

I don't understand why there is such resistance to fixing this!

Jimmy