Re: [Trlog] 1B67LAX Bug

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] 1B67LAX Bug
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:02:33 -0600
> >It's a shortcut...provided by the software designer.  Maybe, at
> >some point, the operator should adjust to the software and move
> >on.
>
> Dale, you're diminishing Tree to the "it's the thought that counts" school
> of amateur programming.  If the program is supposed to be superior because
> you can type in the exchange without spaces, and this is used as a selling
> point, then the software should make good on the claim.
>
> I suggest the software could ALWAYS do this when you type the SS exchange
> elements in either 1) the correct order, or 2) the CK-SEC-NR-PREC order
> (when TRlog helpfully inserts the check and section in the exchange field).
> This represents probably 98% of the QSOs we make, I would guess.
>
> For the record, none of these look remotely like callsigns: 1BN5OT71OK
> 1B71OK, 71OK1B.  I believe there is no reason they should ever wind up
> automatically overwriting the callsign field.

Well, 1B71OK sort of looks like a callsign to me.  Compare it to a call like
3C0AN.  If has the same pattern: some numbers, some not numbers, some more
numbers and then some more not numbers.

The *real* issue here is "which came first"?  The callsign update feature can
after the SS syntax "feature".  True, using the callsign update feature does
cause some problems if your don't put your space between in the middle of
the exchange.

As it turns out, the CALLSIGN UPDATE ENABLE feature is normally disabled as
a default.  In my enthusiam towards making the defaults for the SS the "same"
as how I used the program, I have made it turn on when using the SS. You can
see this documented in the FCONTEST.PAS file under the code for the
SWEEPSTAKES.

Perhaps this was a mistake and I should have left this alone.

I did try to mitigate this by sending this message to the list:

http://lists.contesting.com/_trlog/2003-10/msg00139.html

BTW - the ad was written well before this feature was added as well.

Tree

PS: I have looked at the "undo" key.  It is a lot of work, but may happen
someday.