Re: [Trlog] Rescore Command

To: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Rescore Command
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:15:20 -0500
On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:58:54AM -0500, Jim George N3BB wrote:
> The need to do the "RESCORE" capability of TR is pretty lame!

The TR RESCORE feature is just an automated way to do a TR READ command.
As such it makes doing a TR READ very easy to do as it does all the
setup steps for you.

I have been using TR READ or TR RESCORE on logs for years now.
I almost always do this as it is an easy way to find really
broken stuff in the log and it also makes sure I know how
many points I have by 'relogging' all of the contacts a second time.

> the procedure per K5TR's email.  It worked OK, and the "rate" at 99 WPM etc
> was about 1100 QSO/hour.  At that rate it was going to take over an hour
> and a half with my 1800+ QSO log.  The little 486DX DOS SO2R PC was writing
> furiously to its disk drive, etc.  I gave it up after about 20% of the way
> thru and said to myself "this isn't worth it."

I am not sure what you mean - it is not like you have to do any work.
This is one thing that computers are good at - doing work for you.
If it takes longer than you want to watch it - just let it run - go
eat dinner, mow the lawn, watch TV etc.  It is not like you are
wasting your time by letting the computer run.

A faster computer, faster disk and running a disk cache like SMARTDRIVE
will speed up this process.  In fact running the disk cache might help
the most.

Are you running SMARTDRIVE on this computer?

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net