[TenTec] Ten Tec Performance

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec Performance
From: N4LQ@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 21:22:17 -0400
I've had the MP and Omni 6 and think they are both overpriced. The MP has
the Las Vegas displays which really bugs your eyes out upon first glance but
after listening to cw on it for a few weeks I was ready to pull out what
remains of my hair. The residual hiss was very pronounced and comes from the
multitude of IF amps. I believe Inrad even has a mod available for this
$3,000 rig which boost the RF gain and reduces the IF gain to mask the hiss.
The reason why Jap rigs have such accurate frequency readouts is because
they use only one crystal oscillator for all bands and they put a lot of
effort in that one little oscillator to make it stable. The Omni uses a
seperate crystal for each band and compromises on them to save money. As the
crystals age, each band will become off by a certain amount plus the
oscillator in the microprocessor will also age and drift. This results in up
to 30cps or so error per band depending upon many factors.
I found the Omni 6 to be much easier on my ears for extended cw reception
and some of the faults you mentioned can be eliminated such as the clicking
qsk by simply unplugging one cable.

Worth $3,000? Hey, it's only money!
Steve
N4LQ