[TenTec] Jupiter taking a beating?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter taking a beating?
From: bharen@bellsouth.net (Brian Haren)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:12:38 -0400
All,

The Jupiter has been taking a beating lately in the reviews on eHam.  The
complaints seem all over the map; some say the receiver is too sensitive on
the higher bands, some say it's deaf as a post.  Other complaints center
around quality of construction, lack of features ('one button band
selection' seems a favorite), display quality, etc.  Most of the negative
reviews seem to have popped up in the last few months, not sure why.  I've
not had my Jupiter long enough to say definitively that one complaint is
valid, the other not.  Some just seem to be whines ('One button band
selection'?  Sure, just use the Pegasus software!).  Other, I think, are
valid (like having to pay extra for a hand mic).  Most seem to be in that
'gray area' known as perception ('deaf on the higher bands'?  I often have
the same problem, but I think it's more a factor of band conditions,
time-of-day, and antennas.).

Anyone else out there have any thoughts on the current run of reviews?
Valid complaints?  Just whining?  A mix?  If there are valid complaints, I
think that some of the problems can be fixed via software update - so lets
let TT know!

73, Brian W8BYH