[TenTec] Paragon VFO Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon VFO Problem
From: ke4teg@bellsouth.net (KE4TEG)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:31:24 -0400
Hello Steve,

I received your QSL card on Saturday. Yours is coming back in todays mail.

If you want to try a lube job on the tuning knob, the prior suggestions are
good, but slightly incomplete in my opinion. Since you live in Louisiana,
be absolutely certain there is absolutely no moisture on the shaft. If
unsure, use a single drop of WD-40. Work the knob a bunch to get it down
where its needed and to get it to evaporate. When you feel its enough, do
it some more to be sure (maybe random tuning over a couple of days). Then
add one drop of CLP Break-free and work it into place, your done. If this
does not cure your problem, its time for the kit.

As the acronym implies, WD-40 stands for Water Displacer number 40. WD-40
has many great uses,  my two favorites are: starting diesel engines when it
is cold and humid outside (WD-40 is flammable as well as volatile under
pressure and displaces moisture which is diesel's number one enemy). Two is
that it cleans metal surfaces while it displaces water or moisture. This
makes it great for preparing a surface to lubricate. WD-40 is a poor
lubricant by itself due to its water displacing property which depends on
forced evaporation.

CLP is so good at protecting metal and lubricating it, that you must make
sure there is absolutely no moisture. CLP is a moisture barrier and will
prevent water from getting to the surface it protects which also means
moisture does not evaporate well through it. CLP will coat the moisture and
seal it to the metal. The moisture will then not be able to evaporate and
will pit or rust the metal. CLP works OK against moisture in a military
situation where weapons in the field are being scrubbed down with
Break-free everyday or once a week at the armory. But in a use once then
forget it, always be sure you have no moisture.  BTW the acronym CLP stands
for Cleans, Lubricates, and Protects. Break Free has a triple meaning. It
helps to free up rusted parts, it loosens rust, dirt, firing residue for
proper firearm cleaning, and allows exotic gun metals that normally do not
do well together to function freely.

73 Keith
de KE4TEG