[TenTec] TenTec frequency accuracy

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec frequency accuracy
From: n7nmd@arrl.net (Dan N7NMD)
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 00:52:01 +0800
Well, before this topic dies out, I just want to throw my 2 cents in,
and make a request..

I've noticed that most of the radio manufacturers out there are
marketing gimmicks along with their radios to increase sales. I think
the one that tops the list is the new RadShack dual-bander with a
compass  inside it, but there's others like how many bits on your dsp
chip, etc etc...

All that's good and well to increase sales, but given a choice, I would
*MUCH* rather have a lower ppm frequency accuracy rating than a compass
or a 128 bit dsp chip. It's just more useful.

Is a lower ppm useful? Certainly..it's easier to maneuver around the
digital bands, with their several hertz deviation..and it's certainly
more useful than a compass...or having clouds in my display background.
But it doesn't make or break the radio.

All I'm saying is if I'm to be bamboozled into buying a rig over a
gimmick, I'd rather have it be something really useful like higher
resolution tuning.

-Dan N7NMD/9W2DU

(currently trying to use a shortwave radio to analyze the IARU
beacons...with +- ~400 Hz leeway..it's a pain)