[TenTec] I get nervous when . . .

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] I get nervous when . . .
From: w3uls@3n.net (John Rippey)
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 15:15:49 -0500
It looks like the first Orions are just around the corner, and I get
nervous when I think that the rig's reputation will to a considerable
extent stand or fall on what the ARRL's lab reports. Since the report will
be based on lab tests of a single early production unit, it is a dicey
(i.e., Las Vegas crapshoot) business for Ten-Tec. Recall that the QST
review of the OMNI VI Plus some years back had several nits to pick that
detracted substantially from the overall report on the rig. Those nits
clearly were the result of minor production glitches, not fundamental to
the design of the radio at all. Also, a lot will ride on who does the QST
review. Will he be a top CW op, a digital mode enthusiast, or perhaps worst
of all a casual SSB rag chewer? Dave Newkirk and Rus Healy (a CW maven), to
name two eminently qualified folks, are no longer available. That's why I
get nervous when . . .

73,
John, W3ULS