[TenTec] Argo 5 - like it or not?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argo 5 - like it or not?
From: mgusky@bellsouth.net (Michael Gusky)
Date: Sun Feb 2 00:35:29 2003
Tim,
I've owned my 516 for about a month now and really like the rig.  I operate
CW with a loop antenna in my attic for 40/30 meters and use a 16 foot
flagpole for the upper bands.   The 516 lends itself to my style of
operating......mostly CW with occassional SSB and causual SWL'ing.  The
Argonaut feels good and sounds great.  The receiver is very quiet and easy
to use.  I haven't noticed any chirps, glitches or loss of memory.  I use
memories to move from band to band.  I store all my favorite CW freqs in the
first group of memories, followed by a few SSB freqs and then finally some
of my favorite SW station frequencies.  The DSP filtering is absolutely
great!  I'm not into numbers that much and don't get into comparing filter
shape factors.  However,  I do know that when I crank the BW down to 200
hertz....the DSP really delivers.  I cannot comment on the noise
blanker......haven't needed it yet.  The QSK is probably the best in the
industry.....it's very clean and smooth.  And besides all that.....the 516
feels good and is fun to operate.  Of course, if you are not into low power,
the Argonaut 516 is not for you.

73
Mike
K5UX