[TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."
From: lejeuned@centurytel.net (David W LeJeune, Sr)
Date: Fri Mar 14 17:33:45 2003
The 'curious toy' you refer to powers 95% of all US Businesses computing
needs.  A secretary running Word, or an accountant running an accounting
program under windows rarely has system crashes, primarily because they are
using a 'stable' piece of software.  As a software developer who started in
1961 programming in Autocoder, I can tell you it's rarely the operating
system that causes program crashes.  We have gotten smarter in protecting
the journeyman programmer from himself, but he still manages to screw up
periodically.  Don't get me wrong, I prefer Linux/Unix to Windows, and early
windows had some serious problems.  The MAC OS, until the most recent
version, was even worse.  But businesses that spend lots more money than
I'll every have continue to buy Windows based systems.  They vote with their
pocket books.

Dave