[TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."
From: res0wsci@verizon.net (WILLIAM MANSEY; WA2PVK)
Date: Sat Mar 15 21:17:28 2003
I am also enjoying this "off topic" (now) thread as it gives me something to
think about other than my Orion.  (well - ALMOST)
I am running Windows and did have problems with certain utilility,
anti-virus, and other products.  I won't bother mentioning the names but
they have been mentioned in previous posts.  I found some free (at least the
basic versions) software that far outperformed the expensive "name brands"
and I have had virtually none of the problems I had with those other
programs.  One of these is the AVG program listed at the bottom of this
message.  Another is ZoneAlarm.  AdsGone and NoPops are some of the other
programs that seem to work great.  I am just providing information and have
NOTHING to gain by mentioning any particular program(s).
I have changed EVERYTHING in my computer, and have added things that were
not there, with the exception of the power supply and motherboard.  This
includes the sound card, video card, Ethernet card, hard drive, added a
slave hard drive, floppy drive, DVD/CD-RW drive, CD-RW drive and more
memory.  I have had no problems with lockups once I figured out how to go
track down drivers and associated programs for devices I had removed.  Once
all these things were either disabled or removed from the system - all
worked very well.
It is a good idea to periodically check for "obsolete" programs,
applications, drivers and other residual stuff.  Performing a disk check,
disk cleanup, and running the defragmenter will help speed things up.
Sorry for taking up the space on the Reflector.  Any questions?  Please
Email me directly.    73, Bill
PS: current OS is Windows XP Professional Edition
res0wsci@verizon.net

---