[TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."
From: kd4znc@arrl.net (Jeff Modlin)
Date: Sat Mar 15 20:18:47 2003
Ken and Group:

I am really enjoying this exchange of information.  Also, I send my
apologies to the group for this tangent thread.

First let me say that I am not a part of the Microsoft Cheerleading
squad.  I just believe that their OS is the one of choice for most
businesses and it becomes incumbent upon the user to make it work as
best he/she can.

In the past I have found that the Real Audio package had caused some
glitches on my machines.  I have also found Norton's anti-crash software
to be an oxymoron.  Additionally there are known bugs with McAfee that
will bring a machine to its knees. Just check out their websites.
Windows obviously does not like anything getting in-between the OS and
the hardware.  So when Real wants to take control from Media Player or
McAfee Firewall wants to filter packets, the OS wants to compensate and
a percentage of the time there will be a lock-up. Ever try running
McAfee Net Watch and checking your through-put? Aside from the obvious
reasons, why does it take so much overhead that it reduces the
though-put by 30%? Wonder why it locks up the browser? (Rhetorical
questions).

BTW, I also like to sit near the emergency exit:-!

73 de Jeffrey Modlin
KD4ZNC in Coral Springs, Florida USA
E-mail:  KD4ZNC@arrl.net
Coordinates: 26? 14' 30'' N,    80? 15' 28'' W
Grid: EL96uf