[TenTec] HP GPS Receiver

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] HP GPS Receiver
From: efricha@dimensional.com (Eric F. Richards)
Date: Fri Jun 20 13:19:39 2003
At 10:58 AM 6/20/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Other Eric,
>
>Thanks for the tip on the patch antenna. I really don't understand these
>things yet. That will make the mounting easier. I think a couple of pieces
>of angle aluminum will do it.  BTW, do you know if the Garmin antenna they
>supply is weather proof?

Mine was a Magellan, and didn't appear to be waterproof to me.  However,
minimal caulking would make it so.  You've seen the site where the guy has
it mounted on a ground plane... well, if you use electrical/electronic grade
RTV seal around the seam and screw holes when you fasten it down, you
should be fine.

Hint:  Electrical supply houses will have the RTV; a hardware store will
have a nice galvanized sheet to mount the antenna on (furnace ductwork).

>  Also, on my antenna, it looks like there  are
>three mounting holes around the perimeter of the antenna.  The holes didn't
>go through the cardboard at the base of the antenna, but there were three
>holes in it. I was able to remove the cardboard base (it's just glued on)
>and reposition it so that the holes line up.

Your antenna is completely different from mine, sounds like.  I guess
the GPS industry has standardised on 5 v preamps in the antenna bases,
so they can be interchanged.

>Well I originally tried running the GPS with the antenna in my basement (no
>window) shack, with no luck, so I will have to put the antenna outside and I
>will need to get it on the roof. The house is the only thing out here ( a
>former corn field ) that blocks the sky, but it does a good job of that (2
>story).
>
>Just to make sure things working, I brought the receiver up to my 1st floor
>office where I have another computer and ran the antenna outside through a
>door. Again, the house was still blocking some of the sky.  I was able to
>get it to lock to 1 or 2 satellites. I know that it needs to reprogram to
>its new location. I attempted to do a survey, but it cancelled my request as
>it didn't see 4 satellites.

It can take as long as a day to really get itself together.

Good luck,

Eric