RE: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color
From: "jmalloy" <jmalloy@stny.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 18:15:17 -0400
tentec-bounces@contesting.com wrote:
> In regard to the Orion not having a color display, I have heard
> good arguments for a color display by someone "playing up the
> IC-756 Pro II over the Orion". He said It has been scientifically
> proven that people interact better with their technology thru
> color displays. That is why the U.S. Military has color in their
> heads up combat displays. Also, if Black and White were so great,
> Why aren't computers in black and white, or black and white TV's
> still popular. I am not bashing the Orion, just merely passing
> along some valid points I've heard on the air. 73. Todd

I think that one good reason why color computing exists is that people bought
it (i.e., availability of color video cards and monitors) as it represented an
"upgrade".  But in fact, both the Lisa and the original Macintoshes (by Apple)
were given only black and white screens -- and nevertheless were quite popular
some groups of people.  But though I have a color system on my computer(s), I
could do my work quite well in black and white.  I don't gain any real
advantage over a bw screen except in the area of "eye candy".

And one more thing: maybe color displays have some value in communicating
something of interest to a soldier, but we're hams and could scarcely be
considered in the same light.  Now, I do think that Ten-Tec ought to have a
color screen as an option on the Orion, but the radio itself and not its
readout are of paramount performance value to me.  De gustibus non disputandem!

- Joe, W2RBA
(awaiting delivery of his Orion sometime in late November or early December!)