Re: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:29:29 EDT
Interesting to watch the discussion, just like "I like blondes, he likes
brunetts"
Is B/W LCD display better than LEDs? Sure
Is color LCD display better than B/W? Definitely!
Is Escalade better than KIA? Most sointently!
Will the debate what is better, what is enough, what "I" vs. "YOU" prefer
ever end with agreement? NOT!

It boils down to manufacturer's ability (design, manufacturing, service) to
pack as many features to as nicest package for the least amount of money so we
find it worthwhile to plunk our money for it and be happy. Manufacturer has to
find happy medium/compromise between price/performance so they can sell most
rigs and cream the competition (which doesn't sleep).

TenTec has done remarkable job with Orion, especially in the signal
processing performance area and with our help and their willingness to listen
and
incorporate improvements, we should be looking forward to only better things.

As far as color and information display, I personally look forward to
interface with notebook, where you can have all your colors and maybe one day
have
your panoramic display to show stations worked with red curves, new multipliers
in green, lids in pink (or you name a color).

As far as mine Onion (oops Orion) is concerned? 30 days has expired, so it is
a keeper after preliminary burn-in and test. I hope that QRL will let me get
deeper and test it in the contests soon. I will share my experiences here, not
on "defective" deflectors :-) I do not Yahoo, I might hee-haw after I install
latest upgrade and print new manual.

Stay here!

Yuri, K3BU