Re: Orion was ( [TenTec] Hercules III / Mark Erbaugh)

To: "Steve Baron - KB3MM" <SteveBaron@StarLinX.com>,<tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Orion was ( [TenTec] Hercules III / Mark Erbaugh)
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:55:35 -0400

> It is interesting that display color has been highlighted but I have seen
no
> mention of other cosmetic aspects of the display.

Good point.  When I first got my Icom 756 (original), I thought the display
was "ugly" and wished Icom had done it differently. The more I worked with
it, the more I saw how it fit the operating needs. I am convinced that it
was carefully designed and much thought and testing went into the design.
The more I used it, the interface details seemed to melt into the background
(as it should). The radio provided an easy way for me to tell it what I
wanted it to do and a clean way to give me needed feedback.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about the Orion. After 3 weeks (I
ended up returning it), I felt pretty comfortable that I understood how
everything operated (working with computer programs all day, I'm pretty able
to figure out the intricacies / eccentricities of most user interfaces and
at least learn to live with them). However, I never felt the interface
melting away with the Orion.

Fortunately, most of these can be remedied with firmware updates if TT is
listening. A few suggestions, though, would require relabelling some of the
front panel controls, but since the controls are just input into the Orion's
computer could still be done without hardware changes.

Mark