RE: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:48:25 +0000
Well, if you must have a scientifically approved "color display" have it in red
and white, red background and white lettering. While the difference between
white on red and black on white is small, it's there. And it's the primary
reason you see so many red signs with white lettering. As in Coke, Burma Shave,
and a host of other signs intended to be read on the fly. The eye has much less
acuity (ability to distinguish separate elements) with every other color
combination.

And yes, the military does use multi color displays. But the intent is not to
improve instrument readability - it's to get more information in a
comparatively cramped multi layer display. If the target turns green, pull the
trigger.

Color television replaced B/W because color was intensively marketed and sold
as a loss leader for quite a few years. RCA/NBC sunk a ton into promoting
color, and all the early sets cost far more to make than a dealer could get for
them. The first sets to make a profit for the factories arrived some time
between 1964 and 1966, depending on who you talk to.

But if color TV's were still as expensive as a luxury automobile most of us
would get our daily dose of political propaganda from a black image on a white
screen.

And I have had a rig with a color display and didn't lose a whole lot of money
when I unloaded it on someone a lot less demanding than I am. Personally, I
might pay another ten bucks for a color display - but I would pay a couple of
grand more for a factory built SO2R rig, a couple of hundred more for a second
built in antenna tuner, and another fifty for a ten message DVK/CW Keyer. What
else? Can't think of anything else I would like in a rig. If the Orion isn't
perfect it's much closer than anything else I have seen.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E