Re: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color
From: "Bill Fulling" <w4njf@midflorida.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:15:24 -0400
From: <ac5e@comcast.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 6:48 PM

> Well, if you must have a scientifically approved "color display" have it
in red and white, red background and white lettering. While the difference
between white on red and black on white is small, it's there. And it's the
primary reason you see so many red signs with white lettering. As in Coke,
Burma Shave, and a host of other signs intended to be read on the fly. The
eye has much less acuity (ability to distinguish separate elements) with
every other color combination.

> And yes, the military does use multi color displays. But the intent is not
to improve instrument readability - it's to get more information in a
comparatively cramped multi layer display. If the target turns green, pull
the trigger.

> Color television replaced B/W because color was intensively marketed and
sold as a loss leader for quite a few years. RCA/NBC sunk a ton into
promoting color, and all the early sets cost far more to make than a dealer
could get for them. The first sets to make a profit for the factories
arrived some time between 1964 and 1966, depending on who you talk to.

> But if color TV's were still as expensive as a luxury automobile most of
us would get our daily dose of political propaganda from a black image on a
white screen.

> And I have had a rig with a color display and didn't lose a whole lot of
money when I unloaded it on someone a lot less demanding than I am.
Personally, I might pay another ten bucks for a color display - but I would
pay a couple of grand more for a factory built SO2R rig, a couple of hundred
more for a second built in antenna tuner, and another fifty for a ten
message DVK/CW Keyer. What else? Can't think of anything else I would like
in a rig. If the Orion isn't perfect it's much closer than anything else I
have seen.