Re: [TenTec] Reed realy in Titan? Help/advice

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Reed realy in Titan? Help/advice
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:14:50 EST
In a message dated 12/27/03 2:09:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
fjx1@optonline.net writes:
I'm trying to troubleshoot my Titan 1. On cw qsk after 10 to 40 minutes of
operation I see plate current but no output from the amp. Strange thing is,
there's no smoke or smell. the exciter is a 1000MP and I've been using it no
problem for 6 years or more.

Do you think the Kilovac relay is going bad or?  What does the reeed relay
do? I have one and it looks a little tricky to install and was wondering if it
was more likely the cause than the Kilovac or?

What do you guys think?

Gerry K1NY

That's the price you pay for QSK :-(
Now picture contester, who can accumulate those cycles in few contests and
fry the relay in the middle of the contest, when operating from Bunga-Bunga
with
no spare parts around. Another reason to use PTT.

Some times vacuum relays get magnetized one way and fail to drop or pick. The
remedy is to switch the polarity to the coil. If the contacts are burned
away, then only remedy is replacement.

Yuri, K3BU