[TenTec] simultaneous keying and keyer with Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] simultaneous keying and keyer with Orion
From: "W9GE" <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:49:43 -0400
Buck K4IA said in part: "My Orion (and Yaesu) will not allow me to use the
internal keyer and an
outboard keyer at the same time.  The outboard keyer sends actual dots and
dashes
to the internal keyer instead of "left and rights" so the internal keyer
outputs garbage.  So, you must turn off the internal keyer."

I must respectfully disagree.  One can hook a paddle to either the front or
rear panel key jack and use the internal Orion keyer while also using the
"ptt" line of the Aux I/O cable as a key line from the computer/auxillary
keyer/hand key etc. (See Orion manual rear panel code 80 on page 28) My
Orion is set up with a paddle on the rear key jack and both the computer and
a K3 connected to the Aux I/O ptt line.  Works fine every time unless I mash
the footswitch which is also connected there and acts as a lock key when in
cw.   Cannot speak to Bucks Yaesu issue, although my 850 must either be set
for internal keyer or external keying, thus I never use the internal keyer.

73 bob de w9ge