[TenTec] Iambic Keying Mode A versus Mode B

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Iambic Keying Mode A versus Mode B
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:54:05 -1000
Hi Thomas,

I do not think yours was a stupid question, although some of the non-answer responses to it may be.

My understanding of "mode A" versus "mode B" is that there are differences in how the dit and dah memory functions. I have made some comparisons to try to confirm my understanding of it, and I feel pretty confidant that I have got it. So here is an explanation:

First of all this mode A or B stuff only applies to Iambic keying. You probably already know that with an iambic keyer you can hold both switches (the dit and dah levers) closed at the same time and get a "di dah di dah di dah......" string, that starts with whichever (di or dah) lever you close first and ends with whichever one you release last. You can also send a string of dits and insert a dah by tapping the dah lever without releasing the dit lever. Similarly you can send a string of dahs and insert a dit. So far what I have described is true of both mode A and mode B iambic keying. Where the difference lies is in dit and dah memory.

If you are sending a "K" in mode B and release the dah lever sometime while the middle dit is being sent, you WILL get the ending dah. With mode A you would have to hold the dah key until the dit is actually finished, and maybe even a little way into the interelement space, or else the dah would not get sent.

Similarly sending an "R" you could release the dit paddle during the dah, and still the ending dit would get sent. With mode A you would have to hold the dit lever through the dah and a little bit after, or hit it again, in order that the ending dit get sent.

Once you get used to mode B it is difficult to go back to mode A. The reverse may be true also. I assure you that operator preference for mode A versus mode B iambic keying, or bug keying or straight keying has absolutely nothing to do with the devil, or your gender or testosterone level.

Ken N6KB