Re: [TenTec] QSK of QRP/QRO

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK of QRP/QRO
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:17:33 -1000
I would like to see a contest scoring structure wherin each QSO is scored according to power level used. Perhaps three power levels and three different multipliers. The power levels would be >800, 200 to 800, and <200, or something like that. (I chose those levels because they are typical big amplifier/small amplifier/no amplifier levels. Perhaps there could be even more catagories to include QRP levels. ) Only computer generated logs would be accepted, and power level would be automatically entered for each QSO using some kind of simple power sensor/computer interface. Operators could use any method they like to acheive the various power output levels. Multiple amplifiers, power attenuators, coaxial relays, foot switches, etc.

I think this would encourage more QSOs made at lower power levels, lowering the QRM. The "choose a power level catagory and stick to it for every QSO in the contest" method, used in most contests, encourages the use of full power even when working stations that are umpteen dB over S9. Yea sure this multiple power level scheme would offer new opportunities for dishonest hams to cheat. People can cheat on their power level with the present scoring systems too.

DE N6KB