RE: [TenTec] Orion

To: <eric.sensi@skynet.be>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:14:43 -0800
Eric,

Like you, I've run many radios from my current QTH for about 5 years.
I only use openwire fed antennas with excellent symmetrical matchboxes.

In the CQWW DX contest, I suddenly had RF problems - though only on one band
(20m).  It was getting into my Jupiter and the TX audio was distorted.  I
never experienced this before with any of the 6 or 7 transceivers I've used
here.  I cleaned the problem up about 90% by connecting a 5m long piece of
wire to the chassis of my matchbox and just laying it on the floor of the
shack.  It worked as a quarter wave counterpoise.

Immediately after the contest I loaned my Jupiter out and so I was not able
to follow up on the problem.

The bottom line is, when having RF problems, there is almost always a
solution, but it isn't always the same for different environments.  Although
you have taken some pretty logical steps to solving your problem, you
obviously have not found the real cause (and this is more of a factor of
luck, not skill).

In addition to trying a counterpoise, you might also place an RF choke (like
the ones from Wireman) in the antenna line near the Orion (between the Orion
and external matchbox if you use one).  However I think the previous post is
probably going to be your problem.  The Orion is indeed fussy about how you
connect a microphone to it and if you do it wrong, you do get RF in its
audio.  Before you throw in the towel, you might check out the Pin-1 thread.
Perhaps you've already done that.  If not, you really should do it.

Gud Luk

73
Rick