Re: [TenTec] SDR

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SDR
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:10:41 -0800 (PST)
SDR and digital modes are not synonymous, SDR simply
makes the implementing of digital modes and different
analog mode types easier to implement in the radio,
assuming of course that the SDR is designed to
accommodate it. Analog only radios and sophisticated
digital modes are however mutually exclusive without
external equipment. SDR technology only gives us the
ability to accommodate wider range of modes and
operating styles within the radio itself. There's
nothing really magical about it beyond that.

As for "all digital" rigs making QSO's just like
cellphone call, hardly. We hams as group will always
have a large sub group who will always be pushing the
capability limits of their stations and equipment.
Just ask the folks who work with the WSJT modes off of
the moon, they too have plenty of QSO's that they
"almost" made couldn't quite make, just like there is
now with CW EME. The only difference is that the
threshold of signals that are now workable via WSJT
are few dB lower than with CW. The underlying "game"
however remains the same.

Duane
N9DG