Re: [TenTec] Good faith & John Swisher KE4CCI (long)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Good faith & John Swisher KE4CCI (long)
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:09:10 -0600
snip.
Well at ga hamfest 3 months later traded for plus cash for a kenwood ts850sat. It was gaurenteeeed to be top notch. Just been to kenwood for realinement. You know the deal. 2 Days later at home it quit.
snip.

Would it made a difference if it had quit two weeks, or two months later?
If you would of tested it at the fest, would that made a difference?

This reminds me of an incident occuring in Germany. A Major Birch tried to make me guarentee that an AN/GRC-46 would work when we went to Ogau (I was stationed in Lenggries). He was specifically concerned about the transmitter T-195. I explained that I could test it at Lenggries and only state that it was working. I couldn't guarentted that it would work further down the road. This wasn't good enough, so he ordered a new (or rebuilt) T-195 from the Pirmaseans Depot in France. You guessed it, it started blowing smoke out of the exhaust blower vents when turned on.

Wold you guarentee a light bulb to work two days later? More than likely it would, but there is also a chance it won't. Electronics systems are subject to failures of all sorts. The best way to deal with it is to go for redundency.

m2cw

73, wd4air