Re: [TenTec] My new ORION

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My new ORION
From: <wq7x@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:27:45 -0400
I had a chance to play with IC7800 and it is a great TRX,
specially on CW with very sharp DSP filters. My Orion in comparison at 100Hz
position of DSP filter is more like 300Hz wide-not as good but OK. However, I
like SSB reception on my ORION much better. With RF gain adjusted to lower the
noise it is just incredible. Signals to noise is outstanding and the quality
of received audio to me is superb and I have a hard time to get away from the
radio. Also, narrow roofing filters and low phase noise is just how trx should
be designed.
So, I just hope that distortion of strong signals will be eliminated (doesn't
exist in other DSP radios). I also hope that DSP IC's in ORION are powerfull
enough to handle all what is needed
I wish that all the buttons like NR, NB, RFgain,MIC gain,Comp etc. could be
used differently. Now is more like going from one to another and then back.
That should be easy to implement.
Thanks. Mark WQ7X