Re: [TenTec] My new ORION

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My new ORION
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 17:14:29 -0500

> 1.No, the real difference will not became apparent because
> IC7800 can easily handle signal 599+35dB at 1kHz spacing. My
> Orion and many other Orion's can't handle that with the
> current fimware.

I'm talking about narrow spaced dynamic range, which has nothing to do with
firmware.

> Ten Tec knows about the problem with the
> distortion of strong signals.
> However your statement would be correct if Orion could handle
> strong signals without distortion.

I have had no problems as you have described.  Like I said, maybe I'm just
lucky.

> So, is my statement correct.ON CW 100Hz BP filter on Orion is
> actually 300Hz?

I think it's a bit greater than 100 Hz, but don't recall any discussion of
it being 300Hz.  Others on the board have done actual measurements and
perhaps they will chime in.  The comments under 1.0 above relate, as I said,
to  narrow spaced dynamic range, where the 7800 basically falls apart
relative to the Orion.  Take at look at http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
and http://www.w8ji.com/receiver_tests.htm.

> 3.Example: SSB mode I have pushed NB and then there is a
> carrier so I would like to engage
>   AN and then I would like to turn off NB. Guess how many
> times You have to push those
>   bottons. First I push AN, so now is highlighted and than I
> need to push again so it will
>   engage and so on.

Ok, we all have different notions of what is a good control interface, given
a fixed number of knobs.  My point was, if you want something different,
suggest specifically what that should be.

> I'm really not interested to promote the ORION as a perfect
> TRX.

Neither am I.  I use the Orion, warts and all, quite happily.  There is no
"perfect" radio.  Some just cost more than others :-)

Grant/NQ5T