Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ Keying

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ Keying
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:27:37 -1000
Hi Michael,

I don't know what version firmware is in my Omni VI version 3 radio.
Maybe it has the "microchirp". No one has complained about it to me.
I'll try listening to it with another receiver to see whether I can
detect a chirp, and I'll also try listening to harmonics to exaggerate
the chirp. As for as the duty cycle goes, I am seeing pretty darned near
50% duty cycle when the internal keyer speed is at maximum. Gives a dit
plus space duration of about 43 mS. The dits are 20 to 24 mS long
depending on what part of the envelope you call the end of the dit. The
rise time of the dit envelope is about 2 mS and the fall time is about 4 mS.

I see pretty much the same using external keying from my Logikeyer K-3,
although they way I have it set up right now it does not go as fast as
the internal keyer.

Do you have a number I can use to convert dit plus space duration
directly to WPM?

When I look at it with the Bird 43 and set the power to 90 watts key
down (I can't quite get 100 watts indicated, so I am turning it down to
90 watts) the string of dits measures 30 watts. The Bird 43 scale is not
linear, so this is about 50% deflection even though not 50% power reading.

DE N6KB