Re: [TenTec] Paragon brains gone

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon brains gone
From: "Phil Chambley, Sr." <k4dpk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 16:18:33 -0500
Hi Ken... (Re Paragon)

One of the things that can cause the symptoms you describe is insufficient
filtering of the power supply DC.

This can happen in the early matching power supplies in the following way:

The computer-grade filter capacitor was mounted on the PC board with #10
screws going through holes in the board and into the capacitor studs.  These
screws would sometimes loosen (probably due to transformer vibration) and
begin to arc or have a faulty connection.

The microprocessor would not tolerate the pulses, but the leds and the lamps
would still operate.

Just a thought.

Phil
K4DPK
VFO Stabilizers and PEP adapters for wattmeters...Check out
http://home.comcast.net/~k4dpk