Re: [TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar
From: "GARY HUBER" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:12:24 -0600
When the Soviets were running OTHR in the amateur bands, (which used the HF
echo to "see" targets) I used QSK CW dits to synchronize with their OTHR pulse
timing and jam their "B" scopes. As a former Radar Electronics Counter-Measures
and Electronics Counter-Counter-Measures operator, I knew it was simply a
matter of transmitting a signal of about the same frequency, duration, and
slightly stronger than their "return" to confuse their operators. By setting my
keyer speed so that I did not hear their pulse while QSK at 100 W and by
calling HH5HH with the beam pointed at the strongest OTHR signal, I'd usually
hear them go QRT or find someplace else to play. Calling HH5HH QSK at the OTHR
pulse rate worked well until the Soviets started using digital signal
processing, then it became a "overload signal game" with less apparent success
in forcing them to QSY or QRT.

By the way my RADAR set back then was a Ten-Tec OMNI-D....

Best regards,
Gary - AB9M
CSM(r)G.L.Huber
glhuber@msn.com<mailto:glhuber@msn.com>