Re: [TenTec] Paragon brains gone

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon brains gone
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:29:37 +0200
On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 07:10:58PM -0800, Chas Nagel wrote:

> When I purchased my Paragon about 5 months ago it came with a warning
> label inside near the battery holder regarding use of alkaline
> batteries. Use only rechargeable battery and the procedure stated below
> by Mark.

I don't have one, and in fact don't think I've even seen one, but I can
relay to the group the information others have posted and I have read
elsewhere.

When the Paragon was produced it had the provision for a nine volt
alkaline battery for memory backup. The review model the ARRL used for
the QST review had one.

Hams being the ever handy bunch they are figured out a mod to the radio
to replace the alkaline battery with a NiCad rechargeable. Ten-Tec liked
the mod and at some point incorporated it into the Paragon, still in
production at that time.

So it is possible to have a Paragon in one of there conditions.

1. Original version, no mod, requires nine volt alkaline battery.

2. Original version, modified by the owner, requires NiCad battery.

3. Second version, requires NiCad battery.

It is important to keep in mind that NiCad batteries that old tend to
not hold a charge and may have leaked, I've replaced many on 386 and
486 motherboards while people still cared about them.

How you make sure that the radio you have requires which one, I have no
idea, but IMHO, if you do own one, it is important to do so before replacing
the battery.

73,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838