Re: [TenTec] Astron

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Astron
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 13:13:43 -1000
I agree with all you say. Put forth the effort and money in the
beginning, so you don't have to keep adding on later as your needs
expand. Use EMT conduit, not Romex. And have dedicated circuits for the
shack, not shared with other uses around the house. I wired my shack
using 12 AWG wires and 20 Amp outlets and breakers. I don't know why I
would skimp and use 14 AWG and 15 amp outlets and breakers. Buy or
borrow a copy of NEC so you know what meets code, even if you pay a
licensed electrician to do the work Many licensed electricians may be
accustomed to only doing the minimum fast, cheap and dirty Romex style
wiring most often used in new residential construction these days, and
are unfamiliar with the codes for any other type of installation. Using
3/4 inch EMT conduit is hardly any more expensive or difficult than
using 1/2 inch, and you may wish you had the greater wire capacity if
you go for the smaller conduit. It may be perfectly legal and code
compliant for you to do all the grunt work yourself, meaning the conduit
bending and wire pulling, and then have the connections to the outlets
and breakers done by the licensed electrician.