Re: [TenTec] What makes the 238 good or any other tuner good?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What makes the 238 good or any other tuner good?
From: "Richard Williams" <richardw@mho.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:41:48 -0700
Hi Dick, I have two transmitting antennas for 160 meters at present. One is
a 5/16 wavelength inverted L  that is 68 ft. tall and about 98 ft.
horizontal fed with a remotely tuned vacuum variable at the base of the
insulated vertical section. This antenna also has a vacuum relay at the top
of the vertical section to isolate the horizontal wire and while also
simultaneously shorting out the series vacuum variable at the base by means
of another vacuum relay. This allows operation on 80 meters as a quarter
wavelength vertical. The relay at the top has the coil wires fed through the
center of the 2" mast tubing. I also have a rotary inductor inline at the
base to adjust the resonant point on 80 meters while it is self resonant at
3,870KHz., about as far up the band as I care to operate. To QSY down to
3,505KHz. requires only about 3 1/2 turns of the 3" diameter motorized ribon
inductor. On 160 meters I can cover the entire band with the vacuum variable
remotely tuned with a 3 RPM DC motor and gear drive. For reasons really
unbeknownst to me, with the vacuum variable relay energized to short it out
the series capacitor and just about 1/2 turn of the ribbon coil in series
with the inverted L, I get a flat match and excellent performance on 30
Meters also. This was a suprise discoverery and unexplained bonus! This
system was not perfected in a weekend, but took lots of trial and error with
both relay and mechanical problems to overcome, but it has been operational
to my satisfaction for it's fourth season now. I have approximately 3500 ft.
of  #6 Ga. solid copper wire stretching to my meager suburban lot property
limits from the base of this structure, some as short as 15 ft. and some
bent around the back of the property twice and nearly 200 ft. in overall
length. The actual number of radials is about 60-65 as I started with 16 and
added more as time allowed and saw diminishing results on 160 meters after
48, although 48 seemed better than 32 but had no effect on bandwidth
decrease any more, with 160 meter usuable bandwidth at any given point being
approximately +/- 20KHz.  My total lot size is just a bit shy of one half
acre.
The other 160 Meter antenna, if you will, is simply a gamma match to my 70
ft. tower supporting a TH11DX topside, which provides the top loading for
the gamma matches, I have one on the other side for 75/80 meters also. They
are both fed with remote tuned vacuum variable capacitors mounted in grey
plastic electrical enclosure boxes near the tower base. Both attach to tap
points on the tower at about 55ft. and 42 ft. respectively and are spaced 36
inches from the tower legs on opposite sides. I used IIX Equipment
(www.w9iix.com) model SO-1 standoff brackets on the tower legs and stranded
#4 Ga. insulated electrical down wire. Both cover the entire 160 and 80
meter bands quite nicely. Because of the location of this tower, the
counterpoise system was limited and I find that the other vertical/inverted
L system generally outperforms that of the gamma feeds although on some rare
occasions, I can hear and work stations with the gamma fed top loaded tower
that I cannot even hear on the other antenna, likely due to angle of
radiation being significantly different I suspect. The tower, by the way, is
guyed with 6700# Phillystran but is grounded at the base.

Rog,

It sounds like you have quite an elaborate tuning system that I would say is
beyond what the "average" ham is going to attempt.   It is much easier to
throw up a dipole, vertical, inverted L, or whatever, and buy an antenna
tuner.   As you said, your system took quite abit of time and "tinkering" to
achieve the performance you have.   The $64,000 question is how much
improvement is there in your signal over just thowing up the inverted L for
160 and using a tuner?  Certainly the loss in the coax would be negligible
due to the higher swr on the feedline.

Of course there is loss in the tuner, but with a good tuner like the XMatch,
it is not that great.   With a 4 to 1 SWR with a low imp load (worst case),
the % power loss is only 17 (less than 1db).  With an impedance of 12.5 (4
to1) the loss is less than 10%.   With my phased verticals, the 4 to 1
bandwidth is from 1800 to 1883; and that more than adequately covers the "DX
window".  I haven't checked to see what the actual impedance presented to
the tuner is;  low (worse case) or high (800 ohms or so).

Dick