Re: [TenTec] What makes the 238 good or any other tuner good?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What makes the 238 good or any other tuner good?
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:02:15 -0800
Roger, you lucky dog!  Sure wish the other 99% of us hams had the money and
space to have such an antenna farm.  But since we don't and are forced to
live with antenna restrictions or limitations, what advice do you have for
us?  Many of us are lucky to obtain permission to put up one inconspicuous
antenna, preferable hidden, so what antenna should we choose, feed with 50
ohm coax and work all bands without the need for a matchbox?

I doubt that anyone of us disagrees with you, in theory, but it's simply not
practical for most people.  The reality for most of us is wire and matchbox.
Under these circumstances, how can we optimize our setup?  Someone suggested
to use a 238 instead of a T-filter.  I think that was good solid advice,
though a link-coupled matchbox is better for running a doublet (random
length) with openwire.

Two of my neighbors also use an inverted L on 160m (slightly longer than 1/4
lambda.  They tune it with a variable C at the base, remotely.  I planned
that too, but got lazy and just trimmed the antenna to resonance, band
middle.  I have about 100 ft. of coax and tune in the shack with a 238.  I
can hear and work everything that the other two can.  I don't see the point
in the extra effort it takes to implement the remote tuning.

73
Rick
DJ0IP