[TenTec] 160 antennas - no tuners

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 160 antennas - no tuners
From: "Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales" <sales@tentec.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:26:20 -0500

 >What type of antenna do you use on 160 mtrs that will allow descent
coverage
of the band without a tuner?   I would think that most 160 mtr antennas
that
can be erected by the average ham would require a tuner.<

The 160 meter inverted L is easy to construct, easy to tune, doesn't
require very much space (i.e. can be erected on a city lot), and won't
require the need for an antenna tuner.  I wrote a "how-to" article that
appeared in the July/August 1998 issue of National Contest Journal
entitled "Real Time 160-Meter L".  I've used a couple of different
versions of this antenna over the years.  My latest version of it is 175
feet long, with 40 feet vertical and 135 horizontal using homebrew RF
choke (coax turns wound on a 2 liter Coke bottle - very complex <grin>)
and a matching capacitor at the base.  Centered at 1.832, the antenna
covers 64 kHz between 2:1 SWR points.  Two 110' elevated radials,
feedpoint about 6 feet off the ground.  I've worked all 50 states and
numerous European countries with it.  Certainly wouldn't claim this is
the best antenna for 160, but for limited space and spending next to
zero $, it may be...

I guess we're wildly off reflector topics now...

Scott Robbins
W4PA