Re: [TenTec] monitor on the Orion I

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] monitor on the Orion I
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:24:36 EST

In a message dated 1/19/2006 7:17:18 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
markinkpt@hotmail.com writes:

I just  received one of the traded-in Orion I's last week from Ten Tec (that
someone traded in for an Orion II). I really love the radio so far! One
thing I was wondering about is the monitor funtion. I will put a set of  Sony
7506 headphones in and select monitor at 100%. Listening to someone  through
the headphones, I have the AF set at about 25%. However, when I  talk (and
want to listen to my own audio), I have to turn the AF up to at  least 50%.
Is this normal? I do not plan on using this funtion much, but  was just
curious. I know the Icoms I have had in the past were a little  like this,
but maybe not this bad. No big deal really. I have been so  surprised at how
awsome this rig really is compared to what I have had in  the past

seems to me the monitor function and the af gain  are interconnected,  I know
sometimes I have the monitor low and the rf gain low and the af gain  high,
and then I raise the rfgain and key thwe microphone  and blow my own  socks
off..

I do agree it is a super radio. I have had min  8 or 9 months now and  find
it does some amazing things.. have fun and play with it.  also  remember only
stereo head sets and take a slow read of the manual, while sitting  at the
radio.. It almost has too many functions.. :)