Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:56:31 EST
Hi all,

>From the continuation of this thread, I think I've come up with a new
definition of 'masochist': someone who buys a 20-watt radio and then insists on
putting it on SSB.  (Or maybe it's just someone who keeps this thread going --
guess I resemble that remark.)

Anyway, the Argonaut V doesn't have 'bad' audio.  It has 'DX' audio, i.e., a
frequency response intended to maximize intelligibility when the S/N ratio is
low, by putting all its power into those portions of the spectrum that
contribute to that.  Remember, this is a 20-watt radio that is not intended to
drive
a linear -- no provisions for amp control are included.

As I have suggested previously, since the Argo V is mostly software-defined,
an upgrade allowing the user to define the frequency response would be a good
addition.  QRP DXers could keep it the way it is, while those who want to use
it for ragchewing could lower the bass roll-off frequency.

I'm copying ditsnbits on this too.

73,

Ray W2RS