[TenTec] Titan 425 & WARC bands

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Titan 425 & WARC bands
From: "Rick, W6RKC" <ab1u@volcano.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:56:59 -0800
OK, my second question after 10 years on the list.

I just picked up a Titan 425 (S/N 425-00727) which has been in storage
for about the same 10 years. It is in pristine condition. Had it on a
Variac for a few days and just tuned it up with full output on a few
bands. Reading the manual it says the following:

                                             "Operation on the 10, 18
and 24 MHZ bands
If and when the FCC permits linear amplifiers to be used on these bands,
your Titan will be capable of 10 and 18 Mhz operation only with slight
modification. in the unlikely event that high power operation is
permitted on 24 Mhz, TEN-TEC will make available information to permit
safe operation of your TITAN on that band. ANY ATTEMPT TO OPERATE YOUR
TITAN IN THE VICINITY OF 24 MHZ WITHOUT APPROPRIATE MODIFICATION MAY
CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE."

So, I did a search of the archives to find these WARC band mods without
luck. Have not made the long distance call to Sevierville.

Who knows what the mods are? The collars are loose for 10 meter
operation and it loads here fine. Is there a 24 Mhz problem with the
plate choke like the Alpha 76A series?

I wanted this amp as a legal limit backup for the Alpha 99 and for the
second radio SO2R. If the mods are simple, I may keep this Titan.
Otherwise, I'll just keep going with the Centurion as backup and get rid
of the Titan. As they say, life is too short for QRP, especially on the
short side of life.

Oh, the tuning on 160 seems a bit odd. The first time I tuned it up, LV
position, the Ig was fine on the tuneup freq. QSY 10 khz low and the
overdrive LED lit up. QSY up in frequency, the drive was fine, ~ 35 ma.
Finally found a spot where the LOAD-TUNE combo worked ok, QSY up & down
40 khz and Ig was ~35-50 ma. The LOAD control tuning seems very broad.
Is 160 tuning this flaky? Or, after 44 years playing radio, am I just
doing it wrong?

Thanks for any help you folks may have. It is always interesting reading
the list.

73,

Rick, W6RKC