[TenTec] Is the Orion an AM radio or a DXer's radio??

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Is the Orion an AM radio or a DXer's radio??
From: richardw@mho.com
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:40:02 -0600 (MDT)
I have been reading all the emails concerning AM mode and the Orion.   I
might be rather naieve, but I though the Orion was designed as a DXer's
radio (the first one Ten Tek ever produced for the DXer); two receivers,
roofing filters, good DSP bandpass filters, good cw breakin, FSK for RTTY,
speach processor, etc. etc.

I might have missed the call outs on the clusters, but I can't recall any
callouts for the VU4 or Aves Island on AM; more or less any other major
DXpedition!   If you are really big into AM and "broadcast quality" AM,
why would you purchase an Orion??   I would think one of the old "boat
anchors" that runs 100% plate mod with a pair of whatevers running in
class B push pull would be the rig of choice.   I have to say that I have
not had one DX station tell me that my audio was poor or was lacking in
the lows, mids or highs.  I use a Heil mic with swithable elements and it
works just fine.

I don't know that you can design a radio that does everything perfectly;
reminds me of the military several years ago when they wanted a "one size
fits all" aircraft.   The answer was the F-111/FB-111 and something else;
did everything, but not anything very good.

K8ZTT