Re: [TenTec] Working DX

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Working DX
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:01:47 -0600
> contesting. However the phone signal that sounds "cleanest
> and clearest" is likely the one with just the right amount of
> properly done processing, more likely than one with no
> processing at all. When some is good, more is not always
> better.

Possibly true.  Problem, though, is that there are too many guys who think
that since there is a "processsing" control on the panel it's there to be
used or it wouldn't be there.  And if a little bit is good, then just
cranking it waaay up must obviously be better.  I'd rather see these
controls be REALLY hard to get to, and have them automatically "reset" after
--  oh ... 5 minutes.

As a non-contest or occasional casual contest operator at best, I typically
just turn the radio off or move to CW using my middling CW skills for SSB
contest weekends rather than put up with what sounds very much akin to
fingernails scraping down the blackboard from one end of the band to the
other, generally rude operating practices, and more than enough over-driven
(and questionably legal) amps occupying large chunks of spectrum all at once
:-)

Not that I have an opinion on this subject :-)

Grant/NQ5T